9. MLA Formatting

MLA is the traditional form of formatting used in professional papers. Do I like it, not really. Will I do it, most likely. My problem with this formatting is that the structure is confusing. Citing a source that is not only indented but always placed in a certain order is taxing. It takes away time and you get points knocked off if you didn't do the slightest thing correctly. When first learning MLA as a middle schooler, I was never taught to indent or do anything specific, just make sure all the information was there. As a high schooler I was taught just to have page references in the initial citation. I was taught to write fast and to the point, not formal and constructed. The most confusing thing, and hardest is making sure everything is in perfect order and construct. 

Comments

  1. I completely understand how writing in MLA format can be taxing, one thing that has helped is to write the paper completely, then I go back through the paper and add the MLA pieces one at a time. That way I am able to go ahead and get my thoughts out then organize it in the proper format. I hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree indenting is very aggravating, especially on the works cited page; for some reason indenting every line after the first never works right the first time. I often wonder why we must indent, I assume it’s an aesthetic thing, but I don’t like the way it looks. I too have trouble placing everything in the right order, I have no ultimate cure for it, I just keep an owl.purdue.edu tab open while writing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5. Authority

4. Types of Writing and How They Help